What is Advocacy?
Advocacy seeks to ensure that people are able to:
- Have their voices heard on issues that are important to them
- Defend and Safeguard their rights
- Have their views and wishes considered when decisions are being made about their lives
- And advocate will help you to:
- Express your views and concerns
- Access information and services
- Defend and promote your rights
- Explore choice and options
The advocacy service is entirely independent and confidential, and works to the standards outlined in the Advocacy charter (link to Easy Read version and standard of Charter)
At MiB we offer Care Act Advocacy and Generic community advocacy
Care Act Advocacy
A care Act Advocate can support eligible people to:
- Prepare for, and engage in care assessment, meetings or safeguarding meetings
- Understand the care and support processes and options available
- Express their views and wishes about care and support needs
- Support them to make their own informed decisions
- Support and represent where necessary, and challenge decisions where it is felt that their views or rights have not been upheld
Who is eligible?
We work with people experiencing:
- Mental Health
- Learning Difficulties
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Sensory Impairment
- Acquired Brain Injury
- Communication Difficulties
Anyone in the above groups who may have substantial difficulty (embedded link to substantial difficulty explanation) in being involved in their own care and support process and who does not have an appropriate individual available to support them is eligible for support from a Care Act Advocate.
This service is part of the Specialist Information Advice and Advocacy service provided in partnership with Barnet Citizens’ Advice Bureau.
To refer please call 0300 456 8365 (BCAB number)
or 0208 906 7500 or [email protected]
A community advocacy can help people with issues that are impacting them through ensuring that they have access to information, understand their options, and supporting them to have their voice heard and rights upheld.
For more information or to refer please contact on 0208 906 7500 or [email protected]
Other Advocacy providers in Barnet
For Independent Mental Health Advocacy please contact Voiceability on 0208 900 2221
For Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy please contact Pohwer on 0203 553 5960
For NHS Complaints Advocacy Please contact Pohwer on 0203 553 5960